There are approximately thirty-eight billion home businesses in the US as more people opt to work for themselves. While this might not be for everyone, many people find it is a good choice. Whether you work out of a room in your home or another space on your property, you must file taxes each year with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Profit or Loss

When you work for yourself, you are considered self-employed. It does not matter if you had a profit or a loss from your home business, this must be reported to the IRS. If you live where there are also state taxes, they must be filed as well. When you get ready to file, you should have all receipts and documents needed. This can include proof of the amounts you have made and expenses.

Filing can be confusing, especially if this is the first time you have filed as self-employed. Choosing an insurance agency mount dora fl, such as Maranatha Tax & Insurance Agency can help. There are deductions you may be entitled to as well.


Deductions are subject to certain rules. For example, the space you use in your home for your business must be used only for that purpose. If you use it for anything else, a deduction cannot be taken. The amount you can deduct for the business can also include utilities, Internet services, interest paid on a mortgage or rent, and maintenance. This is when you will need receipts to prove the deductions you want to claim.


Certain forms must be used for particular types of home businesses. If your business is a limited liability company (LLC), you will need a different form than if it is a corporation. It also makes a difference if you are the only one working for the business or you have a partner or employees.

If your business is not a corporation or LLC, you might just need to file as self-employed. As you can see, it is somewhat complicated. This is why it is so important to make sure you are filing correctly.